Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

55U6663DB Toshiba TV switches off after initial startup

Customer Question

55U6663DB Toshiba TV switches off after initial startup 'Toshiba' screen. Screen goes black. Green light flashes then goes red and TVs switches off. Have unplugged, pressed power button for 60 secs then plugged in again but still no joy.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hello Paul, when did you purchase the tv?
Can you bring up the menu screens at all, and are you still getting sound during that initial period?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Tv is one month old. No sound and no access to menus. Toshiba screen shows on initial startup then switches off within seconds.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for confirming,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; depending on the exact purchase date you may still have recourse under the retailers return policy. If so, your best option is to return it to the store for an exchange/refund. Beyond their return period, you would have coverage through toshiba and can file a warranty claim and they should cover repair costs for you.

If you have the option to do so, I'd recommend trying to get a refund rather than an exchange if the store would let you, and consider purchasing a model from LG or Samsung or Panasonic instead, it will last you much longer.

My apologies for the news,

Nathan

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you Nathan. I have tried the process that you suggested but to no avail. Looks as if I need to return or post a warranty claim. Appreciate your prompt responses. Best regards Paul.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.
You are very welcome, Paul! Best of luck with the return process.
Nathan
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Nathan. Quick update for you. Turns out the TV needed a software update. Toshiba sent me a memory stick and I re-booted from this and hey presto! TV back to full working order. Paul
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for the update Paul, I'm glad to hear toshiba supported this for you!