info tech
info tech, Technician
Experience:  Television Engineer for many high street outlets 20 plus years experience
18621325

Samsung ue48ju6000k, not switching on either with sky box or

Customer Question

Samsung ue48ju6000k, not switching on either with sky box or from its own remote. Red light on, goes off when pressing on, then relight red!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Red light now flashing, still not switching on.
Expert:  info tech replied 1 month ago.

Welcome

I am currently reviewing your question and pulling data on the set be one mins

Anthony

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  info tech replied 1 month ago.

I am afraid you do have a problem here likely to be a bad main-board, the main-board is essentially the brain of the set, when it fails the set wont start up in one way or another, if you think you can do work your self with the set I will be happy helping you with this?

Please let me know

Sorry its nothing easier

Anthony

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How complex are you talking?
Expert:  info tech replied 1 month ago.

Its not complex, its replacing a plug in board inside the set,the awkward thing is getting the corect board which has to be ordered cost of board around £50_£120 how old is the set please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Around 18 months
Expert:  info tech replied 1 month ago.

That is going to be a problem then as the set is really only just out of warranty, so the board may not be available as yet second hand

Expert:  info tech replied 1 month ago.

You can try though, it simply means getting the board out and finding the part-number on the set itself?

Expert:  info tech replied 1 month ago.

Sorry for delay my connection went down read above

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not sure about explanation, sounds a bit like mechanic going straight to 'engine management system' for any fault, large or small.
Expert:  info tech replied 1 month ago.

That is a good analogy but there is differences, an engine management manages the engine so if a fault occurs its picked up by sensors which let the electronics usually a simple one micro controller know and shuts the engine down or puts it in limp mode or lets the user know, the main-board does this too but is also the hardware too so the hardware and software unlike the engine which has hardware (mechanics)and electronics separate, there are other pieces of hardware like the panel back-lights and power-board then experience steps in and in this case indicates with a 90% certainty the main-board is bad, there is no software with samsungs (unlike sets like sony)to help with diagnosis like blinking error lights nor is there any checks with a meter that can be made because the board is a data board

Expert:  info tech replied 1 month ago.

So TVs cant be compared with cars in many cases there are no checks to be made its all down to experience unlike the old CRT sets which did need a logical diagnosis

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK.. thanks. I understand that better now. However, when trying to switch on, solid red light blinks off then on solid again, but, intermittently, the red light flashes for a short period. Also, no click being heard, so I'm thinking on/off switch maybe.
Expert:  info tech replied 1 month ago.

You may not hear a click but if the light blinks its hardly likely this is the switch the set is shutting down that is a different scenario, we do not get switch issues anymore with TVs

Expert:  info tech replied 1 month ago.

Its a 90% certainty this is the main-board........

Expert:  info tech replied 1 month ago.

5% power-board 5% backlighting

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Took the set to TV repair guy who anticipates either a virus or more likely backlighting. I'll let you know
Expert:  info tech replied 1 month ago.

No viruses with TVs.......

Expert:  info tech replied 28 days ago.

How has this worked out please?