Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Our Panasonic TV has suddenly stopped working. Switch back

Customer Question

Our Panasonic TV has suddenly stopped working. Switch back on and green light flashes followed by red light flashing (7 times).
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 29 days ago.

I am reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 29 days ago.

Can you please get me the full model number off of the back of the set? Also how long have you owned the TV for?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
TX-P505T31B about 7 years
Expert:  Aric replied 29 days ago.

Thanks for the reply. The 7 blink pattern of the red light is a fault code pointing to failure that's occurred in the plasma display processing (one or more components have failed in the circuit). In most cases this is something that requires repairs made to the set.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Expert:  Aric replied 29 days ago.

Were you able to try those steps please? Are you still having the same problem?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
No change - still 7 red blinks
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
No change - still 7 red blinks
Expert:  Aric replied 29 days ago.

I'm sorry to hear that, and this is not uncommon at all when plasma sets get on in years. The average lifespan for these sets is between 5-7 years. This problem can happen due to several things. The power supply is a common cause of this problem. This typically will cost you $300-$350 to have repaired.

The other very common issues, are problems with the Sustain boards failing. They are responsible processing the Plasma display and are common failures for this type of TV. The average cost for this type of repair is around $450-500 parts and labor.

Given that a brand new 50" LED TV can be purchased for about the same cost as repairing this set, it may make more sense to put that same money towards replacement of the set- versus repairs.

Expert:  Aric replied 29 days ago.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Thank you for your response. Better than me pressing every button going fro the next 3 hours !! Cheers
Expert:  Aric replied 29 days ago.

You're welcome and all the best to you! Have a great day,