Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I am having problems sending sound from my LG OLED55B7V to

Customer Question

I am having problems sending sound from my LG OLED55B7V to my Onkyo TX-L50 via the ARC HDMI port. I have connected all my devices (Virgin Box, Apple TV etc) to HDMI Inputs on the amp. I have connected the HMDI OUT port on the amp to the HDMI ARC port on my TV. I have enabled ARC on both the amp and TV but I still cannot get sound from the TV to the amp whilst watching the built in Amazon and Netflix apps on the TV. All HDMI cables are new high speed cables. Both TV and amp are also new. I have ensured I select "TV" as the input on the receiver when trying to get sound from the TV on the amp. Any ideas?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

I am reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

On the three newer LG sets that I've setup, the Optical port was the only one that allowed built in streaming apps to produce sound through an external AV receiver. The HDMI ARC only processed signals input to the TV via HDMI in the first place, and all other sources were output via optical. In the TV's setup MENU, please try selecting optical and then use an optical cable from the TV to the Onkyo and let me know if that works.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Let me know if you need further assistance. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Thanks Aric. I wanted to avoid using the optical cable, to be honest. However, using the ARC and HDMI CEC is causing no end of odd problems with various inputs passing through the amp when turned off and switching onn/off that I have gone for the optical cable and all seems fine.
Expert:  Aric replied 29 days ago.

Thanks for the reply, and I agree. I'm glad all is working out!