Dan T.
Dan T., Master Technician
Experience:  USAF trained; currently teaching electronics for the DoD.
42300671

I was watching my Panasonic TV last night when the screen

I was watching my Panasonic TV last night when the screen just switched off - it's connected to my sky box - I tried removing the cables - turning on /off blowing on all connections and everything else that google recommended - it still seems to be dead - any ideas what's wrong? - it's only about 6 years old and the green on light turns on then flashes red - I've changed the batteries in the remote too!make No. TX P42G20BA
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Welcome to the site! I'm Dan. Please count how many times the red light flashes. There should be a pattern to it. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi - yes when I turn it on it flashes green then 4 red then pause then 4 red ......etc etc

OK. This model was designed with a self-diagnosis feature. When something inside the TV fails (e.g. a circuit board) that front panel LED will flash in a certain pattern, and the pattern can tell us a lot about what's wrong.

On your model, the 4-blink code you're seeing means the TV's power supply board has failed and will need to be replaced. Sounds like bad news, but it really could be a lot worse! The power supply for your TV is cheap (£41.99) and it's pretty easy to replace if you have a screwdriver and an hour of spare time.

If you'd like to order the board, >>click here<<. To replace, just disconnect the TV's power cord and remove its rear panel. There are alot of screws, so keep a bowl nearby. Once the back panel is off, you'll see the board in the middle. It should be the only tan one in there, but you can also compare it to the picture I linked you to. To remove it, just disconnect the wiring harnesses (they're just clips, you don't have to solder anything) and then remove the screws that are holding it in place.

To install the new one, just reverse that procedure. It's really a lot easier than most people think! But if you'd rather not repair it yourself, no worries. Just call a local servicer.

Let me know if you need anything else. Oh, and please take a second to rate the service I provided (there should be a 5-star scale on your page somewhere). Don't worry, that won't close your question and you can still respond back at any time.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you that is really helpful and I think my partner will be able to fix it for me !! brilliant I've just bought the circuit board thingy. many thanks

You're quite welcome! Good luck!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hey Dan - have done all you have said, have just replaced the board - still no luck ... it's just not springing into action and it's still flashing 4 red.. any sugestions ppart from chucking it in the skip, which is what I'd like to do right now....!

That's very strange! The 4-blink code you're seeing is almost always linked to the power supply. There are a couple of other possibilities, like the main board and logic board... but those are a lot more rare than the power supply you installed.

Do you happen to have a volt/ohmmeter? We can make some measurements inside the TV if you know how...

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Dan - hmm, I have finally taken my TV into a repair guy - the 4 flash code was NOT the power supply - it was a/the Y suss? board apparently - and was in the Panasonic manual as such - therefore I have spent £45 on a new power board when the original one wasn't broken - any suggenstions of what to do now, given that you gave me the wrong diagnosis? I am afriad I will have to ask for a refund- sorry to do this as I'm sure it was unintentional - but now I am significantly out of pocket.

Interesting! I've actually never seen the y-sustain cause a 4-blink shutdown on this chassis. Either way, I'm happy to hear you've been taken care of. No hard feelings at all... sorry we couldn't set you straight over the chat. You can get a refund >>here<<.