Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Panasonic tv won't turn on red light flashing when operating

Panasonic tv won't turn on red light flashing when operating remote .
Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Panasonic? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It's a Viera and 7 years old
Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: yesterday and have turned power off in attempt to reboot
Assistant: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not aware of anything else

I am reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Send back a hello once you've seen my reply to let me know you're there.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am here

Thanks for the reply. I would need the following info to proceed:

1) The full model number off of the back of the Panasonic.

2) The number of blinks between pauses (the patter- for example: 7 blinks, pause, 7 blinks, etc.).

Are you able to get that info now?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Model number is ***** and it’s only 3 or 4 red light flickers depending how long finger is on remote

Okay, so the light only flickers while you hold a remote button? Once you release- what does it do- go out, or light up steady?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Remains lit with no flicker

Okay, and no response at all from the screen itself (no flash of light, no anything)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Correct

Alright, this indicates a failure of the Mainboard in the set and generally requires replacement of that board to fix the issue.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Were you able to try those steps? Are you still having the same problem?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
have tried the suggested approach and whilst the red power button comes on still no luck with TV opening up

That's bad news. Please give me a minute to type this up.

Unfortunately this indicates the set's Mainboard has failed and needs to be replaced. If you're a DIY type, then this is a "plug and play" part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it, and can located using the model number off of the back of your set and the word "Mainboard" (or A Board) at a local shop or used parts supplier.

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $250 parts and labor, which is typically not cost effective as a brand new 42" LED Smart TV starts at around the same cost.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.
Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Do you need further assistance with this?