Dan T.
Dan T., Master Technician
Experience:  USAF trained; currently teaching electronics for the DoD.
42300671

Help! TV lost picture. Sound ok, channel change ok, just no

Help! TV lost picture. Sound ok, channel change ok, just no pic. TV is Bush flat screen, about 6-8 years old. Is that a modern 'natural life span' or is it likely to be something simple?

Hey there. I'm Dan, and I'd be happy to help. What's the model number on the back of the TV?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Dan. DLED32165HDDVD
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No thanks Dan - can't afford to do this.

OK, disconnect the power cord for a few minutes and then reconnect. Turn the TV back on, and then tell me what happens.

If you're seeing offers for additional services (like phone calls), rest assured those are coming from the site and not me. They're automated. Sorry about that!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Off/On light shows it is on, but now there is no sound either. Of course it may have gone off Sky source, but without a pic, I can't see any menus, etc. to check.

Grab the original remote (not a Sky remote) and press MENU. Does that show up?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, already just tried that.

Ok, let's narrow this down. Turn the TV off, and make the room as dark as possible. Get a good idea for how pitch black the screen is. Now turn the TV on and watch the screen. I know it’s still black, but did the screen seem to lighten up, even slightly?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, no change.

Leave the TV on. Grab a flashlight, and the original remote. Shine the flashlight into the screen, and press the MENU button on the remote. Look closely at the screen, where the flashlight is shining. Can you see the menu, even faintly? You'll need to look closely.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
though it's not the Menu. It's a programme (Tipping Point) & the sound is on, but pic is REALLY faint.

OK, that means your TV's backlight has failed (or maybe the power circuit that controls it). Probably repairable, but I would need to see inside the back of the TV to be sure (with the cover removed). Do you want to repair yourself, or do you need a cost on repair?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Think I can get it done locally now you have ID'd the issue. Thank you very much for your help Dan.

Quite welcome. Let me know if you need anything else. Oh, and please take a second to rate the service I provided (there should be a 5-star scale on your page somewhere). Don't worry, that won't close your question and you can still respond back at any time.