Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

I HAVE JUST COME OUT OF HOSPITAL AFTER HAVEING MY LARGE PROSTATE

I HAVE JUST COME OUT OF HOSPITAL AFTER HAVEING MY LARGE PROSTATE REMOVED
I CAME OUT TWO WEEKS AGO AND STARTED GETTING PROBLEMS ONE OF THE THINGS I CANNOT STILL PASS URINE THATS AFTER HAVEING MY OPERATION THEY TOOK OUT THE
CAFITER BUT HAD TO PUT IT BACK IN AGAIN THIS WEEK I HAD A TRIAL WITH OUT CAFITER
BUT STILL CARNT PASS URINE SO THE CAFITER GOT PUT BACK IN SHE DID A BLADDER SCAN AND IT SHOWED MY BLADDER IS NOT FILLING THATS AFTER DRINKING TEN GLASSES
OF WATER CAN SOME BODY TELL ME WHY THIS IS HAPPERNING COULD IT BE TO DO WITH
THE KIDERNYS OR THE URITHA MY CAFITER BAG IS FILLING UP OKAY BUT ONCE THEY TAKE IT WAY I CARNT PASS URINE ALSO I HAD A turp opration done.
yours faithfuly
mr l clyne.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 4 years ago.
Hello Mr Clyne,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dear

mr shatal i prepared to wait until you can find out the cause of the problem what i wont to arsk is should i had scans done to rule any other

problems which might be causeing me problems which they dident do all

they did was send me to the day clinic drink loads of water as i couldent

pass urine sent me to have this turp opration done.

yours faithfuly

mr l clyne

Hello Mr Clyne,

Thank you for your patience, we will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 4 years ago.
Hi Clyne,

When was the prostate surgery done ?

How many times the trials were given?

Do you get any pain when you are not able to pass urine after removing the catheter?

Are you diabetic ?

Are you draining enough urine when the catheter is inside?

Please let me know

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dear

doctor tharun thank you for your e.mail my prostrate operation was done

on the 4th of febuary the trials with out cafiter was given twice before

the operation and twice after and i still couldent pass urine i do get pain

after the cafiter is taken away because i carnt pass urine so they have to

put it back in i have nether been checked to see weather diabetic or not

as regarding my cafiter bag i am drinking loads of water ican do between

100-200 but no more i empty my bag in a urine bottle which has readings

on the side of it as regarding my night bag not a lot of urine gets passed into the night bag from the day bag while i am sleep also i have heard from the hospital today they going to do a tci urodynamic

study i have been told the take the cafiter out and put a small cafiter

in my passage and put water in there to see weather i can pass urine

if i carnt then they will have to put the cafiter back in the pinus also

what would be the next step even if they fill the bladder up that way they it away i will be back to sqaure one there has to be a reason why

i carnt pass urine could it be a lazy bladder and wont fill up?

yours faithfuly

mr l clyne.

Hi Clyne ,

There could be many reasons why you are not able to pass urine.

First is clot in the bladder which can cause blockage, but it would have dissolved by now.So clot may not be the reason here.

Another reason is retained chip of the prostate which was not removed.The prostate is removed in small chips.At the end of the procedure all the chips are removed.If one chip is left behind, it can cause block .

Then comes the swelling in the surgical region.There is always some swelling where the surgery is done and this can cause temporary block in the urine flow till the swelling subsides.It takes around 2-3 weeks.

Then the possibility of lazy bladder has to be entertained.But in lazy bladder there is usually not much pain when you are not able to pass urine. Urodynamic study is only way to diagnose a lazy bladder.

Sometimes incomplete resection is also responsible for this problem.The end of the prostate gland can be missed sometimes & this can cause the urinary block.Then surgery is the only option to remove the left over gland.

Before that, enough time has to be given for the bladder to recover and the swelling to reduce.Also an Urodynamic study has to be done before going for a re surgery.If it is due to lazy bladder, then there is nothing much to do. There are no effective treatments for this condition except intermittent catheterization to remove the urine periodically.

If the urodynamic study shows that your bladder is working properly then re-surgery to remove the remaining gland is the last option.If it is left over gland, then its removal will solve the problem.

I hope this gives you an idea about your existing condition and what could have gone wrong here.

Please let me know if you have any doubts or queries.

Dr.Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience: MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.