Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

My mother (77 yrs) underwent a CT with contrast which reported

Customer Question

My mother (77 yrs) underwent a CT with contrast which reported bladder wall thickening. She has had on/off microscopic hematuria (5-20 RBC) for the last 4 years following an episode of colic attributed to a stone. A previous cystoscopy 3-4 years ago showed no abnormalities. She gets lower back aches occasionally, but is overweight. No history of weight loss, no chemotherapy, no gross blood in the urine. About 1 weeks before the CT, she was treated for E coli cystitis with resolution of the infection. She is a life-long non-smoker, has no personal or family history of cancer of any kind, does not drink alcohol and has never worked in the dye or similar industries. She is a retired anesthetist. She is due for cystoscopy soon and is very worried about a cancer. What is the differential diagnosis here? Can urinary bladder wall thickening be physiological or is it always pathological? Are there non-neoplastic causes for urinary bladder wall thickening, such as cystitis or stones?
Is there a urologist who can help and give advice, please?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
This question has been posted in the Urology category, but a Urologist has not opened the question, so the moderator has placed it in the general Medical category.
I would be glad to assist you, if that is OK with you.
Or would you rather wait for a Urologist to assist you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I would rather wait for a urologist. I paid for an urgent answer and the site indicated that a urologist is online able to answer. If no urologist is available, I would ask for a refund of mz maney.

G D Hildebrand MD

That's fine.

Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JA
There is not currently a urologist on line, but I am sure there will be today.

I am a board certified internist.....very familiar with this....and oncology is our sub-specialty.
Would you like help now?>