DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have an urgency to pass urine and notice a lot of blood on

Customer Question

I'm sure I have cycstits. I have an urgency to pass urine and have to rush to the loo. I have noticed when I wipedmyself there is sometimes a trace of blood. I have bought cranberry juice and am drinking a lot of water. Is there anything else I should do. This came on very suddenly yesterday.  I have just been to the loo again and there was a lot more blood on the paper.

Category: Urology
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello from JA

Great question.

Most cystitis is not helped with home treatment and needs an antibiotic.

if untreated it can infect the kidneys and become life threatening in some cases.

If your home treatment is clearly not working within 12 hours, you need a urinalysis, culture and an antibiotic, and now days a cephalosporin is the most preferable to avoid resistance, which is happening more and more with cipro and bactrim.

Yu can add 3 grams of daily vitamin C and lots of water to your regimen.
Urination every 30 minutes to an hour because you have to due to fluid intake is ideal.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.

Otherwise please choose a positive rating. But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.