Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

Im a 65 year old female. Ive had a sensitive urethra for

Customer Question

I'm a 65 year old female. I've had a sensitive urethra for sometime - can't drink caffeine drinks, have to get up in night for a pee - but this week it got worse and I seemed to need to sleep all the time. I went to the doctor yesterday and she dipped my urine and said there was blood in it and probably had a urine infection, so gave me some antibiotics, trimathropi. These appeared to be working but tonight its got worse and I am having to run to the loo all the time. The urine is yellow, slightly cloudy with bits. I've just taken two paracetamol which will maybe calm it down a bit. Any advice?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your question. If I don't respond to you immediately, it is because I am busy with a patient. I WILL get back to you ASAP.

This sounds like your urine infection may have been resistant to your trimethoprim.You will need to see your doctor for a new urine culture or your former urine culture results to determine what antibiotics we need to be switched to.

In the meantime, while you wait to get into see your doctor again, you can buy medication over-the-counter called AZO, which is designed to help stop the burning associated with the infection. This is the best you can do before you get into your doctor. Hope this helps.