Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I am a 50 yr old woman -with a 10 yr history of urology problems

Customer Question

I am a 50 yr old woman -with a 10 yr history of urology problems -
I initially 10 yrs ago had stress incontinence of incontinence on coughing or sneezing - i sau a urologist and little showed up on urodynamic studies - my symptoms have progressed over 10 yrs to now have incontinence with exercise - walking etc and also I have to run to the loo at times - I now have freqeucny of 8-10 times per day and nocturia of approximately 3 times at night -
in my PMH I had genital warts aged 18 - I would like to know your opinion as to if the history of genital warts predispodses to bladder carcinoma.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your question. If I don't respond to you immediately, it is because I am busy with a patient. I WILL get back to you ASAP.

For your stress urinary incontinence, it sounds like you are a good candidate for a surgery to place a urethral sling to stop the leakage of urine. This is a very commonly performed procedure in women you age and is highly successful. You should discuss this with your urologist.

As for the genital warts, this does not predisplose you to bladder cancer. Some strains of human papilloma virus (the virus that causes warts) can cause cervical cancer and this is why you should have a yearly PAP smear to evaluate for this. Hope this helps.