Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

Hi. I have OAB and this has got increasingly worse over the

Customer Question

Hi. I have OAB and this has got increasingly worse over the past 8 weeks. I have cut out caffeine, drastically reduced my alcohol intake and have tried timed voiding as well as regular pelvic exercises but I have gone from every hour to 30 minutes now. This morning I had to collect a urine sample and a tiny amount came out but a lot (desert spoon) amount of crystals came out. Can you please tell me why? Thank you so much
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your question. If I don't respond to you immediately, it is because I am busy with a patient. I WILL get back to you ASAP.

If you saw crystals in the urine, this may be a sign of an underlying kidney stone or even bladder stone as the source. These stones can cause you to have overactive bladder symptoms. I recommend you get in to see your doctor or a urologist for an exam and they should consider doing a CT scan to rule out any stones that may need to be removed. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This is very helpful thank you. How do kidney stones get removed and will I need long off work if this is the issue? Also how can I prevent them reoccurring?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 4 years ago.

Removeal may be done by minimially invasive surgery called ureteroscopy. Sometimes, shockwaves can be done to remove then. It all depends on where the stone is located and how large it is.

Prevention of stones is mainly done through hydration with water. But your doctor will need to do further lab testing to see what the stone is made of so that the appropriate medication can be prescribed if needed.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Great thank you
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 4 years ago.
You're welcome. Please don't forget to leave a rating for me. Thanks.