Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

I have had Right Hip replacement with an epidural anathetic

Customer Question

I have had Right Hip replacement with an epidural anathetic 10 days ago. I have a swollen prostate and am taking Finasteride. I am having diffulty in passing water after the operation. What can I do?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

It is possible that some of the medication used during the anesthesia for your surgery or the medication used postop has affected your prostate. It appears that your Finasteride is not effective.

A urinary tract infection can cause these symptoms but you should still be passing urine. Inablity to pass urine at all may mean that your prostate is blocked off the urethra. This is the tube that leads from the bladder to the outside of the body.

This is a medical emergency and often requires drainage with a urinary catheter at least in the short term. If the bladder does not drain, infection may move into the kidneys and you may become very ill.

You will need to go to an emergency treatment center or hospital as soon as possible. I hope this information is helpful to you.