Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

My wife who has controlled type 2 diabetes has been sent to

Customer Question

My wife who has controlled type 2 diabetes has been sent to hospital twice over the past six weeks following detection of a urine infection with some incontinence and was given a course of antibiotics. Sent home 5 days after the first hospitalisation she deteriorated and her GP sent her back to hospital having detected ecoli. 5 days later she was discharged appearing much improved. Having now been home for 2 weeks the continual frequent need to urinate has persisted 24/7. Yesterday at the diabetic clinic further urine samples were taken following which the nurse stated discovery of protein, sugar, microscopic blood and 'keytones' (or something similar)
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 4 years ago.

Does she have fever or adbominal pain?

Any burning or pain while passing urine ?

Is her diabetes under control?

Any medications for the urine trouble right now?

Please let me know

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

1. No

2. Yes

3 Yes

4 Yes (Trimethoprin)

HI

This seems like she has sugar in the urine and also ketones which is not a good sign.This may infact suggest uncontrolled diabetes and diabetic ketoacidosis because of this.
This may be responsible for the frequency too.
I would suggest that she be shown to a doctor immediately confirm this diagnosis.If it is indeed diabetic ketosis she requires hospital care and gradual control of sugar levels till ketones are absent from the urine.

If this is not the case,then she has resistant urinary infection which requires better antibiotic than trimethoprim.In that case an urine culture needs to be repeated and new antibiotic started according to the culture report.Better antibiotic will control the infection and will decrease the symptoms.

If both the above conditions are ruled out then, then the diagnosis of overactive bladder has to be considered.This can be a problem for sometime after an urinary infection as the bladder requires some time to recover from it.But this condition can be easily controlled with medications.Usually oxybutynin, tolterodine , solifenacin and trospium are very effective in this condition and will definitely decrease the frequency.

I hope this answers your question.

Let me know if you have any doubts.

Dr.Tharun