DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I retain urine because of a weak bladder muscle

Customer Question

Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome.

1. You could also be on an alpha blocker if you can tolerate it. This type of medication works on the bladder neck muscle. It is a prescription. One example is Flomax (tamulosin)

2. Surgery is another option, TURP or transurethral resection of the prostate to reduce the size of the prostate itself.

Its not really a weak bladder muscle, but your your bladder working against the enlarged prostate gland. I hope this helps.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello from JA
I know you are on proscar and finestride, but I don't think we can make assumptions as to your diagnosis.

There can be problems with the bladder as well as with the prostate.

A little background please

Have you had a posit void residual.
Why do you think you retain urine.
Have you had a cystoscopy.
Other tests?