Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

i have had raised antigens this year . i had prostate examined

Customer Question

i have had raised antigens this year . i had prostate examined last week no problem,i have another psa test next year, all symptoms had dissappeared, yesterday frequency, dribbles, and less than 2 hrs reappeared.
is it drinking too much water in the hot weather or sleeping with duvet on in hot weather?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 3 years ago.

How much is the PSA now ?

Do you have the symptoms now ?

Do you have an urine infection?

How is the flow of the urine ?

Please let me know

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

im beginning if hypothermia i had in march upset the psa levels?

HI

Hypothermia do not have much affect on the PSA levels.

If you drink too much water, naturally the frequency will increase.Restrict the water intake only when you are thirsty.

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

examined monday at hosp and the consultant said new psa test needed next year. didnt say if it was bph or uti and didnt give any medicine so there must be nothing wrong with the prostate ,as symptoms dont wax and wane , they get worse.

HI

Did they do an ultrasound?

Do you have to strain to pass urine ?

Blood in urine ?

Please let me know
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no ultra sound, no straining to pass urine, no blood

Raised PSA is not always due to cancer of the prostate gland.

Less than 50 % of people with raised PSA are found to have cancer on the biopsy.So it is not cancer more than half the times.

If you have no symptoms and your doctor felt no abnormality in rectal exam , there is no harm in waiting and repeating the PSA later.

But it depends on what your PSA levels are at present.If it is between 4- 10, then it is OK to wait.If it is more than 10, biopsy is advised straight away.

Also a free to total PSA ratio is advised as it guides whether to have a biopsy or not.

The ideal situation would be repeat the PSA after 3 months and see if it dropping or raising.If it is dropping, repeat it after a year.But if it is raising then go for a biopsy.

I hope this helps.

Dr.Tharun

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i am doing mediun streams at start of day then small streams the rest of the day, are the small streams because i am going a lot? sometimes when i go at night (if) i seem to do a bigger stream the pain i get sometimes could be because of the times i go. sometimes i have to rush.

HI

These symptoms may be because of the prostate.Even if the prostate feels normal on rectal exam, it may grow in side and block the urinary passage and cause such symptoms.

This can be diagnosed with an ultrasound of the bladder which will measure the exact size of the prostate.These symptoms can be controlled with medications.

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ive been told to wait 6 months for another psa test will that do any harm?

HI

There is no harm in waiting if your doctor feels the gland to be benign on rectal exam.

Dr.Tharun