Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

I have had a recent blood test that shows my psa level at

Customer Question

I have had a recent blood test that shows my psa level at 9.4 and my doctor has got me a urgent appointment with the local hospital but has advised me not to have a biopsy,I have been getting pain in my stomach and back and I am worried the cancer may have spread would a ct scan or mri scan help as I feel this would show a more general picture ,and be less invasive .Thank you.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 3 years ago.
HI

Is this your only PSA value or do you have any previous values with you?

Was a rectal exam done to feel the prostate?

Do you have any problems while passing urine ?

What was the report of the ultrasound - like size of the prostate?

Please let me know

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello my previous psa was about 7,eight months ago,I was told when my prostate was examined it was enlarged but smooth with no lumps,regarding passing urine it varies not to bad,the ultrasound was to examine my abdomen and aorta regarding internal problems .Thanks

HI Peter,

The PSA is definitely on the higher side , but not too high to brand it prostate cancer right away.This is in the gray zone where it could go either ways.The fact that the prostate is enlarged and there were no lumps on rectal exam is good sign that it may not be cancer after all.But it is advisable to get a free to total PSA ratio which will further guide whether to have a biopsy or not.If that ratio is towards cancer then it is better to have a biopsy.

CT and MRI scan are helpful once the cancer is already diagnosed.Cancer can be
diagnosed only on a biopsy.In prostate cancer bone scan is more recommended than a CT or MRI scan.So if at all anything further to be done , it is the biopsy.

I hope this helps you take a decision.

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your help.Peter

You are welcome.