Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

Hi, Im a 50 year old man and seem to be needing to empty

Customer Question

I'm a 50 year old man and seem to be needing to empty bladder far more often than before - mainly in the morning . I don't need to get up through the night and no pain or blood etc. I am however embarrassed that after going to toilet there is some dribbling , most often if I sit down ( eg jump into car etc) and this leaves stain on trousers ( I would rarely where cream trousers etc).

I wonder if this could be psycho logical as can still go to gym etc but always a worry if I have to go to toilet re dribbling.

Flow is quite poor and I do often think I'm desperate and then there is little reason to go ! I read Michael Parkinson say that if you don't have a 2ft projection to worry - I think I do but, in fairness flow has never been strong.

Wondering if I should visit doctor ?

David
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 3 years ago.

Do you have abdominal pain?

Do you have to strain to pass urine ?

Do you smoke ?

Any pain in the testicles?

History of prostate problems ?

Please let me know

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No abdominal pain

no strain

Don't smoke

No testicular pain

My Dad has had prostatitis but not cancer

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not sure if you got my reply.

No abdominal pain, no strain passing urine,dont smoke,No testicular pain.My father I think had prostatitis but not cancer.

David

HI David ,

These symptoms can be because of urine infection, enlarged prostate or stones in the system.Rare but occasionally seen is some lesion/ cancer in the bladder.

Infection and stones are usually associated with some pain and discomfort like burning etc.Since you don't have these symptoms chances of infection and stones are less.

Mass or cancer is usually associated with blood in urine.So what remains is enlarged prostate.This could be beginning of the prostate enlargement which can present like this - frequency and reduced flow of urine.Your age is typical where these symptoms can start.

You should see your doctor and get a rectal exam and ultrasound scan to screen the prostate gland.If it is indeed the prostate , then it can be easily controlled with medications.Also an urine test is recommended to rule out hidden blood and infection.

Dribbling can be controlled by milking the penis of the residual urine after passing.It should be done right from the bottom the scrotum to the tip of the penis.This will expel the remaining urine in the passage and take care of the dribbling.

I hope this answers your question.

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

many thanks

You are welcome