Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I had been training and was asked to produce urine for a drugs

Customer Question

I had been training and was asked to produce urine for a drugs test I couldn't produce enough urine for the test and still couldn't after drinking cup fulls of water every hour for 5 hours what could be the reason for this
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry for the delay, but there was no answer in the Urology category, so the question was posted in the Medical category.

The most likely reason is simply because you were dehydrated from the training (and the heat of summer). Whenever someone gets dehydrated (for any reason), the kidneys will reabsorb as much fluid as possible, so very little urine is made. If the volume deficit is greater than the amount of fluid that you drank over those 5 hours, then the kidneys will still not have made much urine.