Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I have urinary retention - catherisation was proving difficult

Customer Question

I have urinary retention - catherisation was proving difficult (didn't appear to empty properly, presentinguyen problems appeared worse - urology nurse advised i could stop as retention was at the time lowest ever 220ml - all other times 700ml - just been for check up now 6 weeks later 520ml. Consultant advised blood test renal and said this was normal for me - blood test are ok. Just wanted reassurance that 500+ is ok and will not cause renal damage in future. Initial presenting problems remain - lower L back pain,bloating, uncomfortable which im fine with if its not causing renal damage.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.

No, leaving 500 mL of urine in the bladder is not safe for your bladder or your kidneys.

Do they know what the cause of your urinary retention is?

Do you have a history of any spinal cord injury, stroke, or diabetes? Have you ever had a test called urodynamics done?