Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

I have microscopic blood in that comes and goes throughout

Customer Question

I have microscopic blood in urine that comes and goes throughout the day - urine distick shows. Is this more likely with bladder cancer that UTI.
also have a pain in groin - around lymph nodes. If cancer does this mean its advanced.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 3 years ago.

Have you ever seen visible blood in the urine?

Do you smoke ?

Have you ever tested urine in a lab ?

History of chemical exposure ?

Any recent scans of the abdomen?

Please let me know.

Dr.Tharun.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No visible blood

No I dont smoke

urine test was neg for bacteria

No chemical exposure, but dye my hair

No recent scans

6 mths agao I went to GP with pain in lower abdomen he thought it was a UTI as his dip stick test was positive for blood. Sample was negative for bacteria. 3 weeks ago same pain returned (nothing in between) again blood in urine on dip stick, bought my own dipsticks and the blood varies from none to blue dots during the same day. Sample negative. when this started 3 wks ago the pain in abdo was worse when sneezing, laughing, walking or with deep penetration only during sex. this only lasted a couple of days. Pain in top of leg now that it worse with bending over. occasional slight 'awareness' when initially sitting down. Terrified

HI

So was a scan done ?

Dr.Tharun.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no

HI Carole,

Any microscopic blood in urine has to be investigated further to rule out cancer in the bladder or the kidneys. Usually 5 % cases can have cancer in such situations.

There could be other causes too which are more commoner than cancer like infection, stones, contamination etc.

But the main aim in such cases is to make sure there is no cancer which is causing this. So an abdominal scan(ultrasound or CT scan) , urine cytology and cystoscopy are must investigations in your case.
Cystoscopy is seeing inside of the bladder with a camera and it gives very valuable information.

I would like to advise you to see your doctor as soon as possible and get these tests done.

Lower abdominal pain need not be always due to bladder problem. It may be muscle soreness or problems with the uterus (fibroid, cysts etc) which can give rise to lower abdominal pain.Advanced cancers usually have visible blood in the urine.

Dr.Tharun.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you, i would jut like to know if blood on and off throughout a single day is more likely cancer than anything else and if pain in groin lymph nodes indicate the cancer has spread

You have 5 % chances that this is due to cancer.So 95 % chances it is due to some other cause.Since you don't smoke it is very good factor agianst cancer.
Bladder cancer rarely spread to groin nodes.

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I will make a GP's appt today and ask for the tests. One last thing.........If it was cancer is it likely that the pain I noticed 6 mths ago would disappear foe 6 mths

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
HI

Pain is a very common symptom for lot of medical problems and cannot be always related to cancer only. Just hope that it is not cancer.

Dr.Tharun