How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Dr. Tharun Your Own Question

Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Category: Urology
Satisfied Customers: 3682
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167
Type Your Urology Question Here...
Dr. Tharun is online now

I have microscopic blood in that comes and goes throughout

Customer Question

I have microscopic blood in urine that comes and goes throughout the day - urine distick shows. Is this more likely with bladder cancer that UTI.
also have a pain in groin - around lymph nodes. If cancer does this mean its advanced.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 3 years ago.
Hello,

Have you ever seen visible blood in the urine?

Do you smoke ?

Have you ever tested urine in a lab ?

History of chemical exposure ?

Any recent scans of the abdomen?

Please let me know.

Dr.Tharun.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No visible blood


No I dont smoke


urine test was neg for bacteria


No chemical exposure, but dye my hair


No recent scans


6 mths agao I went to GP with pain in lower abdomen he thought it was a UTI as his dip stick test was positive for blood. Sample was negative for bacteria. 3 weeks ago same pain returned (nothing in between) again blood in urine on dip stick, bought my own dipsticks and the blood varies from none to blue dots during the same day. Sample negative. when this started 3 wks ago the pain in abdo was worse when sneezing, laughing, walking or with deep penetration only during sex. this only lasted a couple of days. Pain in top of leg now that it worse with bending over. occasional slight 'awareness' when initially sitting down. Terrified


 

Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 3 years ago.
HI

So was a scan done ?

Dr.Tharun.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no

Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 3 years ago.
HI Carole,

Any microscopic blood in urine has to be investigated further to rule out cancer in the bladder or the kidneys. Usually 5 % cases can have cancer in such situations.

There could be other causes too which are more commoner than cancer like infection, stones, contamination etc.

But the main aim in such cases is to make sure there is no cancer which is causing this. So an abdominal scan(ultrasound or CT scan) , urine cytology and cystoscopy are must investigations in your case.
Cystoscopy is seeing inside of the bladder with a camera and it gives very valuable information.

I would like to advise you to see your doctor as soon as possible and get these tests done.

Lower abdominal pain need not be always due to bladder problem. It may be muscle soreness or problems with the uterus (fibroid, cysts etc) which can give rise to lower abdominal pain.Advanced cancers usually have visible blood in the urine.

Dr.Tharun.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you, i would jut like to know if blood on and off throughout a single day is more likely cancer than anything else and if pain in groin lymph nodes indicate the cancer has spread

Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 3 years ago.
Hi

You have 5 % chances that this is due to cancer.So 95 % chances it is due to some other cause.Since you don't smoke it is very good factor agianst cancer.
Bladder cancer rarely spread to groin nodes.

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I will make a GP's appt today and ask for the tests. One last thing.........If it was cancer is it likely that the pain I noticed 6 mths ago would disappear foe 6 mths

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 3 years ago.
HI

Pain is a very common symptom for lot of medical problems and cannot be always related to cancer only. Just hope that it is not cancer.


Dr.Tharun

What Customers are Saying:

 
 
 
  • I feel so much better today, and upon further investigation believe that there is a chance that the responses I got saved me FROM a serious, even life threatening situation. I am very grateful to the experts who answered me. Susan O.
< Previous | Next >
  • I feel so much better today, and upon further investigation believe that there is a chance that the responses I got saved me FROM a serious, even life threatening situation. I am very grateful to the experts who answered me. Susan O.
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
 
 
 

Meet The Experts:

 
 
 
  • Dr. Y.

    Dr. Y.

    Urologist

    Satisfied Customers:

    15021
    Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
< Last | Next >
  • http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/lyeung1/2010-07-25_032152_tn_IMG_0241.JPG Dr. Y.'s Avatar

    Dr. Y.

    Urologist

    Satisfied Customers:

    15021
    Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
  • http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/TH/tharun/2013-12-28_0129_tailoredfitsuits.64x64.jpg Dr. Tharun's Avatar

    Dr. Tharun

    Urology Resident

    Satisfied Customers:

    614
    MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
  • /img/opt/shirt.png Dr. B's Avatar

    Dr. B

    Urologist

    Satisfied Customers:

    62
    Trained in Adult and Pediatric Urology, Fellowship trained in Urologic Oncology.
  • http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/FA/FamilyPhysician/2013-8-31_191624_JA550x500Photo.64x64.jpg Family Physician's Avatar

    Family Physician

    Doctor

    Satisfied Customers:

    2418
    GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
  • http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/DR/DrK99/newpic2.64x64.jpg Dr. K.'s Avatar

    Dr. K.

    Board Certified MD

    Satisfied Customers:

    274
    Board certified with experience in primary care.
  • http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/agketch/2008-7-14_184046_drketchresized.jpg Dr. Ketch's Avatar

    Dr. Ketch

    Board Certified Physician

    Satisfied Customers:

    76
    Medical Degree, Former Assistant Professor at School of Medicine at Yale University