Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

My partner has had a kidney stone which he was sent home to

Customer Question

My partner has had a kidney stone which he was sent home to pass. He went back in today for a check up but they couldn't get a definite location for the stone. They also found a lump on the outside of his bladder and took a blood sample to try to ascertain what it is. He is really worried it might be cancer. A nurse told him it is probably a calcium deposit. He now has two to three weeks to wait for result. How likely might it be that lump is cancer?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 3 years ago.
HI

Was the lump found on the scan ?

By blood sample - do you mean a needle was put to take a sample from the lump directly?

Did he ever have blood in urine ?

Does he smoke?

Please let me know.

Dr.Tharun.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes the lump was found on an ex ray. Blood sample was taken from vein in his arm. Yes he has had blood in his urine and yes he does smoke. He has smoked for 6 years, relatively light smoker under 10 per day.
Hi Rebecca,

Most probably the lump would be the stone itself. Stone which have come down are seen close to the bladder or even within the bladder sometimes on X rays.

It is very difficult to diagnose bladder cancer on X ray, in fact x-rays never show bladder cancer. What the nurse meant by calcification might be the stone itself. Stone is nothing but calcium which makes it visible on a X ray.Blood results will never diagnose bladder cancer. This will only tell whether he has any risk factors in blood to develop kidney stones.

Your husband is too young to have bladder cancer. It is a disease of aged mostly after the age of 50-60 yrs.

If at all this lump has to be further investigated either a CT scan or cystoscopy(seeing inside the bladder with a camera) would be needed.

Given the circumstances the chances of this being a cancer is almost negligible.

Just relax and if the lump persits on repeat X ray, ask for a CT scan / cystoscopy which will clarify the situation.

Dr.Tharun.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You are welcome and Please update his health here if you have any new information on the situation.

Dr.Tharun.