Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

I am passing water in the night and need to go 4 to 5 times

I am passing water in the night and need to go 4 to 5 times a night
Main problem is that when I need to pass water- it wakes me up but also gives me a ghost like apparition when it first wakes me- i see Ghouls/ghosts/ limbs floating in the air/creatures etc. It is amazing and wondered how the bladder when full could affect the brain
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 3 years ago.
HI

Do you have any confusion along with it ?

Any pain while passing urine ?

Abdominal pain?

Are you drinking too much water ?

Please let me know.

Dr.Tharun.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did reply to you but did not get a response

HI Carol,

There was no reply posted here. May be there was some glitch. Can you reply it again.

I will help you with an answer.

Dr.Tharun.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok

I do not have any pain at the moment.

I occasionally get water infections but no symptoms at the moment

I have been suffering some memory problems ie asked my doctor to give me a test for Alzheimers.

He said I do not have Alzheimers but certainly my memory is not what it was[ my husband had Alzheimers for 10 years]

In the night I do not suffer confusion' in fact once I can see the grotesque object floating in the room as I wake up I know it is not real and will disappear Problem is it only happens when my bladder is full of water and is a v unpleasant thing to have to suffer.

I am a regional manager of a market research company and yes my job is stressful but I have held this position for 30 years and feel maybe there is a medical connection between the bladder and the brain, hence me going online to hopefully find an answer.

If it turns out to be a mental problem then so be it

I don't actually suffer confusion but more I do not remember .

I am seeing a consultant physician in January as I have had 4 bouts in the last 6 mths of extreme sickness and nausea and on only 1 of these occasions did I have a water infection and had extreme pain/diarroea

I have been

Sorry- I apologise- I thought it was a scam when I did not hear from you again

Usually there is no medical condition where full bladder would induce hallucinations by itself. Most prabably the brain is not fully awake during these episodes which is projecting these images. Otherwise a full bladder inducing visual images is rare phenomenon.

There are brain conditions which can increase the frequency of urination like stroke, parkinsons, infarcts etc.But visual images are rare in these conditions too.

Increased frequency can be due to increased water intake, diabetes, over active bladder etc. Once we are sure it is not an infection, then we have to rule out these conditions and treat it accordingly.
Once the frequency is settled , the projections will also stop.
There are some lifetstyle measures which can be followed to decrease the frequency. Restriction of water intake from evening, avoiding tea, coffee, juices, aerated drinks are good to restrict urine formation and hence night time urination decreases.

Weight loss can improve the situation.There are medications to improve this problem. Commonly used drugs are oxybutynin, vesicare, detrusitol and trospium. These drugs numb the bladder which can relieve the night time frequancy.Once you have un-interrupted sleep the mental problem would disappear.
If you have any doubts, please let me know.

Dr.Tharun.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thankyou for that . Are there any other conditions of the brain, apart from
it not being fully awake. Also why now- why not happened in the past ?

All I can say with some surity is that it is not the full bladder which is causing the images. There may be conditions in brain which can cause dreamy states and visions, which is the realm of a expert neurologist to diagnose & treat.

Age unmasks lot of conditions and problems, so at this point we can only point the age as the most common culprit.

Dr.Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience: MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.