Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I have developed smelly over the past 3 months. No other

I have developed smelly urine over the past 3 months. No other symptons associated with it I have type 2 diabetes
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.

Have you had a urine culture done to rule out bacteria in the urine?

have you had a bladder ultrasound done to see if you are emptying the bladder?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thank you,

Answer to both, no not yet. I have made appointment to see my Dr. but all booked up in my surgery (5 doctors) until 20th January 2014. Urine sample given in September as part of my diabetes check-up, but aroma was not as obvious then. Thinking about my problem after my initial note to you, the only change to diet is cutting down slightly on milk and also bread because I was experiencing bloating after every meal with these components. Possibly over the past couple of weeks I have eaten more sugar than desirable, but blood sugars are between 7.5ish and 5.8ish, and have been in this range for couple of years. I am white english, with Armenian great grandmother, i am 5'4, weight varies summer 9 stone, winter 9stone 5 (approx) Should I be asking these questions of a diabetic consultant? Joan Attewell

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
I don't think you need to change or worry about your diet just yet. The first thing to do is to rule out a low grade infection as the cause of the smell. A chronic low grade infection may be enough to cause the smell but not enough to cause other symptoms usually associated with an infection. Your consultant will need to do a bladder ultrasound as well as incomplete bladder emptying can lead to this smell as well as it allows bacteria to build up. Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.