Dr. David
Dr. David, Physician Experienced in Urology
Experience:  Board Certified Physician with extensive experience in Urology
41363181

My Mother in law has been in hospital for four weeks, first

Customer Question

My Mother in law has been in hospital for four weeks, first with a UTi and now they are saying she may have a ruptured bladder. She is 80 years old and is in a lot of pain. I have been told tonight that she needs a scan and then maybe an operation to solve her ruptured bladder. I am very concerned that she is 80 and now cannot after four weeks even hold a conversation with me, even though she could four weeks ago. I have just come back from visiting her and she is asleep all of the time and totally not with it. To top it all she has been on co-drydomal for many years and I have found out today that she is only on paracetemol and has been for four weeks. I need some answers as I am seeing the doctors tomorrow please.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

it sounds like her care has been totally botched and she has gotten poor care.

Dr. David :

I am so sorry she has declined so much.

Dr. David :

a ruptured bladder is very very rare.

Dr. David :

usually patients will just urinate in their bed before the bladder will rupture.

Dr. David :

if she has a rectal cancer or bladder cancer which was not properly diagnosed, then this can eat through the wall of the bladder and cause the bladder to leak and rupture open.

Dr. David :

let me know if you have questions.