Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

typically when i drink 300ml of say coffee, how much water

Customer Question

typically when i drink 300ml of say coffee, how much water goes into my bladder please/ i have some degree of message confusion between my bladder and bladder sphincter muscles, have urine retention problem of about 400ml, seeing urologist later today after emergency room treatment last night
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 2 years ago.
HI

The amount of water which reaches the bladder depends up on our hydration status (water level in our body). So it is never constant.

If we drink water in a hot climate while travelling or doing heavy work, not much will reach the bladder as most of the water will be used up by the body itself. Similarly if you drink water in a cold climate while not doing anything, most of it will reach the bladder. Kidneys are dynamic organs and quickly adapt to such situations and regulate how much urine is formed to maintain the balance. So there is no fixed amount which is converted into urine .

Enlarged prostate is one of the most common cause of not able to pass urine at this age. The prostate grows around the urinary passage and hence narrows the passage. When it crosses the threshold retention occurs. Fortunately there are medications to shrink the prostate and hence it will take care of this problem. Only if the medications are not effective surgery is advised. Most of the patients respond to the medications well and do well for years before opting for surgery.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Dr.Tharun.