Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

My mother has had a catheter in for four years and in the last

Customer Question

My mother has had a catheter in for four years and in the last two months it has had to be changed six times. Apparently this is because it keeps getting blocked by sediment. As you can imagine, this is causing her distress and has led to her having to call out the nurse usually very late at night. Is there any solution to this problem
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for this question

A good solution would be one of two things

1)intermittent catheterization. This means having a cath put in 3 times a day to drain the bladder

2)surgically putting in a suprapubic catheter. This is an opening directly into the bladder above the normal opening

Either one would work

I would probably try number 1 first

I hope this helps. If you have more questions, just reply. :)