Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

Hi when I break wind mostly at night it is followed by an

Hi when I break wind mostly at night it is followed by an acute desire to void urine . I can get the same situation during the day but it may only be following an intake of fluid . I can easily void and without pain . I am a fairly nervous 73 y. o. and I have always thought I have a sensitive bladder . Earlier in life I was able to retain my urine for very long periods . I have had my prostate checked by my doctor per rectum .He is unconcerned so far .
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 3 years ago.

Did you ever had any accidents like urinary leak ?

Do you take any medications?

How is your urinary flow ?

Please let me know.

DR.Tharun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can have a small leak from timeto time esp if the urge is too much A small damp patch is then apparent . Never at night .I usually get up twice at night and void easily .

I take Amlodipine 10mg. and Naproxen . The AmLOD once a day the Naproxen twice a day or as necessary . Bad back over use in youth spondylysis and have had surgery at last thoracic and first two Lumbar superior spinal processes .

Hi Simon

If the prostate is normal and flow is ok ,then most probably you may have some degree of overactive bladder. Here the bladder is sensitive to even small amounts of urine/stimulation and you can have this problem . This is also known as urge incontinence .
The initial treatment is conservative like avoiding tea,coffee,excess water and weight loss. Pelvic floor exercises will also help. If it still gives you problem then you can take some medications for it. The most commonly prescribed drugs are vesicare ,oxybutynine,detrusitol which are equally effective.
You can discuss these options with your doctor and can have a trial of medications if necessary.
If you have any doubts or questions,please let me know.

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you .

Two questions 1 Does the Neproxen at 500 mg bid influence urge incontinence ?

2 The drugs you mention if taken with Viagra do they cancel one another out . My partner of 72 yrs is keen for both of us to maintain our physical relationship .We exercise daily and are avid walkers .

simon Harvey . Vetinarian Retired .

Naproxen is a nsaid which should not have any influence on urge incontinence.

Viagra will not cancel the actions of the drugs I mentioned above.

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

THank you .

In your opinion which of the drugs you mention is usually taken as being the most effective .

I take it that any one of the drugs mentioned if taken at or nearly the same time as Viagra will not affect the efficacy of the Viagra .Your previous answer left that question uncertain in my opinion .

Simon Harvey .

All the drugs have same mode of action. So any of them of can be taken. But I would prefer vesicare or detrusitol. Detrusitol can be given once a day. Since you have the maximum trouble at night, you can take this at bedtime. Side effects are dry mouth ,constipation etc.
Although there are no interactions,I would not recommend taking the drugs at the same time. You can take the incontinence drug earlier on the days when you are taking Viagra.

Dr.Tharun