Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

Strep throat

I am a 26 year old man who has had two sore throats after having protected vaginal sex with a potential sex worker(I did not know this at the time). I received a blow job and we kissed a bit initially. I went to a gum clinic who did a range of tests and found strep from a ureathral swab and some anerobes. I'm worried about the sore throat ive been having, what is wrong?

Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.

Strep is not a sexually transmitted disease. However, you can contract it from someone who has a sore throat at the time. If all they found was strep and some anaerobes ( which are normal found in the mouth), then I would not be concerned that you have contracted an STD especially if they did STD testing and it was negative. Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, im still unclear about my hiv risk - I think the condom may have split. Is it a normal reaction to have a sore throat 7 days from possible exposure? Would there be other signs for sure?

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
There are no signs of HIV until the late stages of the disease many years down the road after your exposure. Having a sore throat may either be a sign of gonorrhea or you may just have strep throat that it seems like they found. Because of your whiskey contact, you should be tested for HIV is not going to be very likely at all in your case.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

handi really appreciate your help, they found the strep in the ureathra not my throat but it could be in there. why would this not have shown up sooner that this week. please see timeline below. The test did not find gonnorhea.

Timeline: exposure on tuesday 4th, minor sore throat on thursday, took ciprofloxacin as a precaution agaisnt chlamydia etc friday and had tests done. Took anthromyacin on sunday one hit of 4 tablets as a precaution as directed. Sore throat kicks off again tuesday this week until today really. Strep in ureathra result came back today from the tests taken last friday.

Why is hiv unlikely, and i've read online that you can get flu-like symptoms fairly soon after exposure, would just a sore throat cover this. But does this sound normal based on the timeline? Also, im on metronidazole as of today for the strep in the ureathra. On tuesday, i found a new freckle on the back of my hand (as per the photo) - i have a lot of moles, and my mum has skin cancer and i am getting this checked out. but i hear having hiv weakens the immune system so this sort of thing can start. Would that be the case if ive had a recent exposure or is this late stage?

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
You would not get a sore throat as a sign of HIV even early on. It would not cause a freckle on your hand either. It takes months to years for HIV to lower your immune system to show any problems. Since you are concerned about HIV, you should just go get tested to be safe.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Based on my circumstances, do you think it is likely? Is it true about men having sex with women is less likely. I think i have a bit of anxiety and need reassurance. I know that is most likely to come from a test but i need to know my chances.

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
There is no way to know your chances unless you know the chances of the person you had contact with. Because you likely do not know that information, the best you can do to ease your mind is to go get tested.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did use a condom but it might have had a small hole, what are the general chances? i know i need to get tested.

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
With a small whole, the chances would be very low.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

last question, im very sorry but i am quite worried about this and have had anxiety symptoms, why do aids/hiv/nhs charity websites say that a sore throat is a sign of infection..one says from 7 days onwards.

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
I can tell you from clinical practice that a sore throat is not assigned HIV. People with HIV can get a sore throat when they become immune compromised but again, this does not happen until years or months after you are infected
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I keep thinking about this, im sorry. so my symptoms are not indicative of hiv at this short stage, could my recent sore throat still be the strep throat from last week? can the strep bacteria in my urethra (which im told won't have gone with cipro or anthromyacin) be causing my sore throat still? There are no white puss cells on my throat... or could it just be my anxiety

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
No, your symptoms are not indicative of HIV.

Yes, your sore throat is likely from the strep throat last week.

No, strep from the urethra would not go to your throat.

This is most likely just your anxiety.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

why would i get a partial sore throat, lose it for the weekend then get back on it on tuesday? could this have been the cipro abating it somewhat?? why has it got so bad recently?

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
Yes, the Cipro may have made it better. It may be worse because Cipro is not the correct antibiotic to treat strep throat. You need something like amoxicillin instead
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

im on metronidazole, is that good enough? strange though as my throat doesnt show signs of a bacterial infection moreover a viral, there are no white puss cells etc..does strep always show signs of bacterial infection in throat? .it is just red and sore looking, the metronidazole is more for the strep in my ureathra than anything else.

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
No, you need to be on amoxicillin

does strep always show signs of bacterial infection in throat?- Yes

metronidazole is more for the strep in my ureathra than anything else.- Metronidazole does not treat strep, regardless of location.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so i don't have strep throat on that basis as there is no sign of bacterial infection in my throat...it begs the question what it could be....you sound confident it is not due to an exposure to hiv at this stage after a 10 days or so...but i don't know what to do...a gum clinic has given me metronidazole for 10 days for mouth strep in my ureathra...if you say its not good enough should i demand amoxicillin??

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
No, you should do what your doctors think is best based on their exam and try to relax. You are over thinking this and making yourself go crazy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i know...you're right. thanks

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
Have a good night