Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I have some quick sti queries?

I have some quick sti queries?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.

Sure. How can I help you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr Y - we spoke before. It is about HIV transmission, can we go into chat?

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately, I am not available to do a continuous chat. I will respond as I can.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is really about clearing up the chances of hiv transmission and the early signs of infection. I have this sore throat 7 days after a potential exposure...vaginal sex, with a condom (but unsure if there was a tear in it or something)with a potential sex worker, there is a little bit of redness but not much on my throat but no other symptoms. Ive had it for 4 days no, it seems to be getting better.

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
Then this sounds like you probably just have strep throat. This is not a sign of HIV transmission.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

there is no evidence of bacterial infection, and ive not got any other symptoms...can i get anything over the counter?

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
You can get some oral anesthetic spray like benzocaine to help the pain. But you cannot buy anything over the counter to make the infection go away quicker.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

why would this arise 7 days after possibly receiving it?? and wouldnt it present more bacterial symptoms?

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
You would not have any more bacterial signs other than a sore throat. It is possible you didn't even contract this through sexual contact. People get sore throats all the time randomly. Just relax. This is not HIV