Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

why is stringy spaghetti like material coming down my suprapubic

Customer Question

why is stringy spaghetti like material coming down my suprapubic catheter and sometimes causing blocking. 70 year old female.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.

How long have you had the catheter in place? When was the last time it was changed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

silver alloy catheter change every 28 days. last change 6 days ago

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
This stringy material is likely mucous debris from inside your bladder. This can occur from chronic low-grade infections or incomplete emptying of the bladder despite having a catheter with all the time. You need to see your urologist for examination and they should consider doing cystoscopy to look inside the bladder to see much of this debris is in there. You may need to have a larger catheter placed to have all the remaining debris in the bladder evacuated so that this does not continue to clog up your catheter. Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.