Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I have a floppy bladder following BPH and a TURP. I am retaining

I have a floppy bladder following BPH and a TURP. I am retaining some 300 ml. Will it ever shrink back to normal?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.

How long ago was your TURP?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have in fact had three. the first was seven years ago, the second three years ago and the third last month.

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
Okay. Thanks. At this point, your bladder is not going to shrink back to normal size. It is been over distended for several years and this is caused permanent bladder damage. To prove this, your doctor can do a test called urodynamics to see if the bladder muscle still has good function. If it does, then they need to determine whether or not your prostate is still causing blockage. If you do not have good bladder function, then you may need to catheterize yourself intermittently to get all the urine out to prevent further damage. Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.