Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

Having been in partial retention causing a back up of

Having been in partial retention causing a back up of urine in my system without realizing it I was kept in hospital overnight to be drained by a catheter. I was examined and told I had a 'slightly swollen' prostate but I have known that for about 30 years.

I was then released with a supply of single use catheters for occasional use such as last thing at night to check on how things were going. However my bladder function has ceased entirely and am having to catheterize myself six or seven times a day. This has been going on for four weeks.

I am interested to know what might have caused this. I will be seeing my urologist in ten days time but another opinion will be welcome.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.

Even though your prostate may not feel extremely enlarged, you can still have severe blockage of urinary tract from the part of the prostate inside the urine channel. This can lead to chronic retention of urine that builds up over the years. As the years go by, your bladder eventually gives out and stops being able to contract. This is likely what happened to your bladder. In order to determine whether not your bladder still has any appropriate function, your doctor will need to do a test called urodynamics to evaluate the bladder muscle. If the bladder can still contract, then you may be a candidate for surgery such as a TURP to open the prostate channel so that you can urinate without a catheter. You need to discuss this with your urologist. Hope this helps.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience: Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.