Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

Two months ago I had a prostate operation which did little

Two months ago I had a prostate operation which did little to improve my flow but left me with a sense of urgency. Last week I had a bladder neck incision. My flow has improved dramatically but I have a very urgent need to urinate every two hours. How long after a bladder neck incision would you expect the sense of urgency to improve ?
Many thanks. Much appreciated.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.

Did you have urgency prior to your operation?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No urgency prior to prostate operation but very poor flow. Following prostate operation, poor flow and urgency. Following bladder neck incision, excellent flow but urgency when needing to urinate. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.

These bladder spasms can be normal after a TURP. The reason this happens is that your bladder was used to squeezing so hard to get the urine past the obstructing prostate for so long and now the obstruction is suddenly relieved. The bladder does not know that the obstruction was relieved and it continues to squeeze hard, causing it to spasm. It can take up to 6 months until your bladder calms down and the spasms stop. In the meantime, your urologist can prescribe a medication like oxybutynin to help stop some of the spasms. Hope this helps.