Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

Hello, I have an 8yr old son who I thinks have bladder problems

Customer Question

Hello, I have an 8yr old son who I thinks have bladder problems because he not only wets his bed but he also wets himself all the time even at school. He is a happy normal eight year old, and I can't understand why. He said he doesn't know or feel when he wants to go. Doctors told me once that he had too much foreskin, which causes him to leek, but he had circumcision done and instead of the situation better it seem a lot worse. What can be done to fix this?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.

Has he ever been dry at night?

How are his bowel habits? Is he constipated?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bowel movement is absolutely fine, and no he has never been dry at nights not since he was about five.

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
Had he seen a pediatric urologist?

Has he tried any bed alarms at night?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no not since he was circumsized

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no, have not. and what about during the days, he's always wet

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
The most likely cause of his urinary leakage is bladder spasms due to an overactive bladder. Sometimes, this is a learned behavior but sometimes it is due to an immature nervous system controlling the bladder. The immature system is the more likely scenario. He should get into see a pediatric urologist for an examination and they can consider starting him on medication such as oxybutynin to stop the bladder spasms. It may take him another year or so to outgrow this. In the meantime, they may also refer him to a physical therapist to help retrain his bladder. Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.