Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

2 weeks ago I went for a cystoscopy and ultrasound on my bladder

2 weeks ago I went for a cystoscopy and ultrasound on my bladder and kidneys following dipstick tests which found microscopic blood in urine . Two tests were sent to labs for analysis but both were negative. The ultrasound revealed nothing and the bladder was fine. I have now been asked to attend a local outpatients in 12 weeks and take another urine sample. I have no symptoms and the blood in urine was found on a voluntary health assessment . Why do I need a further appointment ? Should I be worried ? The specialist said all was good.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.

Do you have a history of smoking?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

never smoked

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
Did you have a urine cytology sent to look for cancer cells?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no nothing was sent away the specialist said all was fine

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Well the routine care for your situation would be repeat urinalyses every 6 months for a fee years to make sure this does not persist. If it does, then you should have a CT scan with IV contrast to fully evalaute the urinary tract. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

is it normal for dipstick urine test to indicate blood in urine and then on analysis at lab none to be found? also can you have blood in urine from banging side or going to gym? i felt fine until i had this health assessment and now i am completely stressed out.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
Yes. It is very common for the dipstick to show blood but none is seen on the official microscopy at the lab.

Yes. Strenuous exercise is a very common cause of blood in the urine.

I would not be too concerned with your blood in the urine. This is very common and there is a less than 3% chance of cancer being the cause. Hope this helps.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience: Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.