Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

I had a Kidney stone removed from the right tube leading to

I had a Kidney stone removed from the right tube leading to the bladder also had infection in the Kidney and a lot of puss removed a stent was put into place and antibiotics after four weeks I'm still in a lot of pain and still have infection
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 2 years ago.
HI

Was the stone removed at that time or just a stent put ?

Where is the pain now or is it always present or just while passing urine ? Problems while passing urine ?
Do you have fever ?

Are you diabetic ?

When are you supposed to get the stent out ?

Have you visitied your doctor yet ?

Please let me know.

Dr.Tharun.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Stone and stent were done at the same time while on holiday in Mauritius. When I arrived home my GP referred me to Urology in Portsmouth Hospital still awaiting appointment, I have pain under the right rib cage , feel unwell all the time and have started to feel like I have heart burn when swallowing, need to consistently urinate every 15 minutes or so a lot of pain when finishing. Seen my GP yesterday another water sample to take in tomorrow. Not Diabetic. Surgeon said to keep stent for 4 - 5 weeks
Hi Jennifer,

The pain while passing urine is due to the stent which is placed from the kidney to the bladder. So this stent can cause pain in the flank region under the ribcage. While finishing, the bladder collapses over the stent and this causes the pain. The increased number of urination is also due to the stent which acts like a foreign body and irritant.

These symptoms will disappear once the stent is removed which is a 5 minute procedure. Only worrying point is urine infection. The stent themselves can cause infection in the urine sometimes. So you should get the stent rmeoved as soon as possible after seeing the urologist. Four weeks is more than enough to keep the stent inside as a safety measure.
You should ask for a fast referrral or at least get an urine exam to make sure there is no infection in the urine at present.Continue the antibiotics. You can take anti-spasmodics like vesicare or detrusitol which will reduce the pain.
At the moment removal of the stent seems the most appropriate action.

If you have any questions , please let me know.

Dr.Tharun.
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience: MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.