Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

Dear Doc My wife has a Laparoscopic hysterectomy on 2nd

Dear Doc

My wife has a Laparoscopic hysterectomy on 2nd May. She has been discharged from hosp on 06 and recovering well other than complaining about gas and pain. On 09th May she complained about massive spasm like pain in lower ab-domain and readmitted to hosp to deal with the pain. They had to gave her morphine to cope with the pain. On that night she started discharging large amount of urine and small amount of blood through vagina(!). Today morning the doc checked again and confirmed that it is pee but through vagina.Only good thing there is no blood discharge. She have a scan scheduled on Monday for renal system.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.

This sounds like she has developed what is known as a vesicovagjnal fistula. This is a connection between the bladder and the vagina after surgery. This is a rare complication of her surgery. They will need to place a catheter in the bladder for 2-4 week and then reevaluate with an X-ray of the bladder to see if it has healed. If it hasn't, then you will need to have an additional surgery to close the fistula. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Doc for ur reply, how hard or complex that surgery would be and what would be future problems or will it heal completely?

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
The complexity depends on how large the hole is. But your surgeon may need to refer you to a specialist who does this surgery if they don't do it.

This problem can be fixed with very high success rates nearing 100%
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks again Doc.

She is still passing some urine through normal system but it causing pain while passing. Could u pl explain why so? Would u help what questions we should ask after the city-scan on Monday

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
The pain is likely from the fistula, but it can be from inflammation or an infection.

You need to ask the doctor how likely they think this will heal on its own. Or if they think they need to close this surgically
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

how likely they damage the ureter while doing LH?

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
That is possible but would also be rare. They should definitely do a kidney ultrasound to see if there is kidney dilation that could be a sign of a ureteropelvic injury
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks Doc, we really appreciate these, why she is not showing any fever? or any other un wellness? And looking at the timescale do u think fistula is a possibility/certain?

How difficult and hard/complex to recover from ureteropelvic injury?

hope this close our all queries, many thanks

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
She would not have fever unless she had an infection.

The fistula is almost certain if there is urine coming out of the vagina. Her doctor needs to examine her there to be sure.

The surgery she may need can take a full 4-6 weeks to recover, but it should not be too bad of a recovery.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience: Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.