Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

Pain in is worse after varicocelectomy over a week

Pain in testicles is worse after varicocelectomy over a week after surgery. Pain was worse than before surgery.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.

Was the varicocelectomy done for pain to begin with?

Is there any bruising on the skin around the surgical site?

Do you have fevers?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes variocelectomy was done to reduce the pain in the left testicle. Now I have pain in both testicles. No I don't have a fever.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Pain is now worse than before the surgery and no there is no bruising around the incision site.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately, doing a varicocelectomy does not always solve the pain. In my experience, it only solves the pain about 50% of the time. 10 to 20% of the time, your pain can actually get worse. This may be what is going on. However, you are still very early out from surgery and may just be having pain from the surgery itself. You need to give this a full six weeks to heal to determine how much pain you will have it at the end of this time. You should consider getting back into see your surgeon for an exam to make sure you don't have an infection of the testicles which could also be causing your pain. If you have an infection, this would require antibiotics to treat. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How long would it take to find out if the surgery was a success. Do people see results after a week or does it generally take over two weeks to find out. Also the pain before was located in the spermatic cord top if the testicle. Now the pain is in both testicles and located what feels like the back of the testicles. What could be a cause for this? Also considering I'm 18 my sex drive has completely dropped and erections are very infrequent.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
I'm not sure why your sex drive or your directions are affected by this. But I could be related to your pain.

You can take six weeks for full healing to occur to determine how much pain you have left.

If the pain is on the backside of the testicles, this could be an infection of the epididymis. This is why think you should see your doctor for an exam to determine if you need antibiotics.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes when the pain subsides and moves to the perineum, I feel good, confident and energetic. When pain returns to my testicles I feel depressed. I'm scared my scrotal trauma has caused chronic testicular pain. One last question. If trauma has occurred could it take a a year of no pain post trauma to then start suffering with chronic testicle pain a year after? Or would chronic testicular pain stay with the patient from the injury onwards?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
Chronic Testicluar pain can happen at any time whether it is right after the trauma or months to years later.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What are the treatments to chronic testicular pain? It's something which I don't think I could live with
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
Typically , it is anti-inflammatory medications like ibuprofen and nerve calming medications like gabapentin. If this doesn't work, then a surgery called neurolysis to strip away the nerves to the testicle causing pain can stop it.