Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

Is one incidence of visible haematuria (light pink) just as

Is one incidence of visible haematuria (light pink) just as serious as repeated incidents when the urine is dark red?  I have never smoked or worked with any of the chemicals usually highlighted as increasing risk of bladder cancer

Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.

The degree of hematuria does not point to one source versus the other. Any type of blood in the urine needs to be fully evaluated just as you are having done. But light bleeding indicates that it is probably less of a serious cause and most likely coming from the prostate. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks for your reply. That is very helpful. It does seem intuitive that more blood, repeated instances, or blood that was darker/brighter red would be greater cause for concern. However, since there does not appear to be UTI (judging from dipstick), and the haematuria was painless, most of what I read seemed to say 'assume malignant unless proven otherwise'. Even though there was no repetition of visible haematuria, would you expect micro haematuria to show up on a dipstick? I have taken a few readings since the incident, and 'early stream' readings seem to show up as between 'negligible' and 'trace' blood in colouring on dipstick

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
Yes. Micro hematuria should show up on the dipstick.

Early stream hematuria is more indicative of prostate bleeding as the source. This is usually from benign prostate enlargement.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience: Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.