Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

67 Year old male, currently having 3 monthly PSA blood tests

67 Year old male, currently having 3 monthly PSA blood tests to monitor a slightly oversized prostate. (reading 5.3 average over 3 tests)

I saw my GP yesterday regarding this matter and I told her that I had noticed my semen is now clear and watery and much reduced in volume and queried if this was related to my problem? While she agreed that it may be due to the prostate not producing its component to the semen she wasn't aware if it is a symptom of a problem or just a natural deterioration with age.

I wonder if you might add some further information regarding this matter?

Many thanks,

Iain
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.

Are you on any medications for your prostate?

Do you have any urinary symptoms like burning or urgency or frequency?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Dr. Y,

I am not on any medication for my prostate but am on Beta Blockers for an SVT condition.

The only urinary symptoms are an occasional difficulty in urinating and generally get up about twice a night to urinate. Otherwise pretty normal.

regards,

Iain

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
Clear and watery semen could be due to a couple things. The first could be low testosterone levels which is the most likely reason at your age. Your doctor may want to consider checking your testosterone levels to see if they need to be replaced.

The second possible cause is a prostate infection called prostatitis. This can make your semen turn watery with low-volume as well. Typically, you would have urinary symptoms like burning or pain behind the scrotum with this. To evaluate for this, your doctor should do a prostate exam and a urine culture. Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.