Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I have had 2 infections in the space of 2 months. I had

I have had 2 urine infections in the space of 2 months. I had a CT scan recently for something else, but it showed up a kidney stone in my right kidney, had no symptoms, so was surprised. As it was of no significance to the test, the doctor neglected to tell me the size or composition of the stone. She seemed to think it was passable? I may even have passed it by now? Could you give me some advice as to what I should be eating and drinking so that this doesn't happen again. Thanks
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.

The only way to determine the composition of the stone is to remove it and send it to the lab for analysis. The only way to determine exactly what you can do to prevent this from happening again is to actually send the stone for analysis. But in general, most stones are made of calcium Hawksley. The number one cause of kidney stone formation is dehydration. You should be drinking enough water to make at least 2 L of urine per day. Your urine should be perfectly clear. If there is dark-colored to the urine, this is a sign that you are dehydrated.

As for the recurrent infections, any time a kidney stone is present, this could be the source of infection. Your doctor should be recommending removal of the stone to see if this is the cause of your recurrent infections. They also need to do a bladder ultrasound to see if you are having trouble emptying the bladder as this is another cause of recurrent infections. Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.