Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

Ive been diagnosed of having blood in my urine. I do not have

I've been diagnosed of having blood in my urine. I do not have any sign of infection going on. My lower tummy is realy painful. I've been prescribed a 3 day course of antibiotics but not helping. Back in 5 days . I'm 42 and normally healthy
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.
Are you female?
Do you have a history of smoking?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am female and gave up smoking 7 yrs ago. Been to docs twice this week and today they sent off another urine sample. Starting to panic slightly I am fit and cycle a lot and not overweight
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Bloods have been done and kidneys and liver is ok
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
The pain in the abdominal area could be related to bladder spasms from a urine infection. The infection just may not have been detected on your first urine culture. The infection can cause blood in the urine.
However, because of your smoking history, you are at risk for developing bladder cancer and this can cause blood as well. You need to see a urologist for an exam and a CT scan and cystoscopy to evaluate the inside of the bladder to rule out cancer as the cause. Hope this helps.