Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I am 76, had resection of the prostate procedure eights years

Customer Question

I am 76, had resection of the prostate procedure eights years ago. In the last five years I discovered my semen is brownish in colour. Lately my urologist told me that the colour is from blood and might be due to that procedure, but I am still under the care of UCL hospital. Semen test did not show any baceteria or otherwise ie -ve result.
My question is; does that effect my partner adversely, especially she suffers from pain in the lower abdomen for the last two years. She accuse me that this is due to my condition. Thus she is reluctant to sleep with me for the last six months.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.

If there is no bacteria in your semen, thine this blood in the semen is harmless to you or your partner. Blood in the semen is a common finding in men and can be due to inflammation of the prostate or ejaculatory ducts. This should clear up over the next 4-6 weeks. Hope this helps.