Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I have an enlarged prostrate pressing on my bladder & have

I have an enlarged prostrate pressing on my bladder & have re-curring & current UTI. May 2010 I had a Cystoscopy (Bladder outflow obstruction) folled 2 weeks later by a Bladder neck incision, followed 2 weeks by a TURP. That helped a lot buthis year symtoms have returned. My GP gave me 14 days of Trimethoprim 200mg about 2 months ago which worked but now symtoms have returned & currently I am taking in the morning 1 Amoxycillin 500 & before bed 1 Trimethoprim. Between the 2 this just holding me together but still uncomfortable. Can I continue with this regime as the thought of another turp is not very attractive. I avoid Caffiene, have stopped smoking for 6 months now but still use Nicotine lowest dose & drink 3 - 4 units of alcohol each evening which seems to act as a diaretic as my urine clears. Kindly advise
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.
Can you explain exactly what symptoms you are having now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Allmost constant feeling I need to urinate water, (never in my life have I had a good flow rate) nipping sensation in my urethra, ache under my left scrotum & sometimes lower back pelvic pain which heat helps, but it's a persistent infection I cannot get rid of. Have also tried Prostamax (Saw Palmetto) which doesn't make any difference & before ops in 2010 tried Finasteride & tamsoulosin which didn't help either

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
This sounds like you may have an infection of the prostate called prostatitis. You need to get in to see your doctor or a urologist for a prostate exam and a urine culture and you may need to be started on an antibiotic like ciprofloxacin for 30 days to treat this infection. You can take ibuprofen 800 mg every 8 hours for 7-10 days to decrease the inflammation of the prostate that is causing the pain. Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. I have Cipro 500. Would I be safe to try 2 a day for the next 30 days + ibuprofen to see if I can beat this. I can go to my Doctor but I have a lot on & am trying to delay until end October when business will be slower

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
Ideally, you need to have a urine culture done first to identify the bacteria. This is because there is a chance the bacteria will be resistant to cipro. If this is the case, having taken the cipro first without a culture can make it very difficult to identify the bacteria in a culture and then your doctor will not know which antibiotic to prescribe.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** I will attend to that on Monday. Have a good day.

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. You too. I wish you the best
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience: Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.