Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

I have been prescribed oxybutynin tablets for symptons of

Customer Question

I have been prescribed oxybutynin tablets for symptons of incontinence, my symptons now seem to be worse.i am going to the toilet six or more times per night and I am waking up wet also. have you any advice please
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 2 years ago.
HI

Do you diabetes ?

Do you feel the urge to urinate and then go to the toilet ?

Are you continuosly leaking in droplets ?

Have you undergone an ultrasound scan of the bladder and the prostate ?

Do you take any other medications ?

Please let me know.

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello.in answer to your questions l am not diabetic.I have regular
dribbles through the day and lose control at night.I haven't had
ultrasound as yet.I have glaucoma for which I take traction regards

HI

Oxybutynin is a bladder relaxant which relaxes the bladder muscle to decrease its sensations. So naturally the number of times you have to get up decreases.But one side effect of this drug is total paralysis of the bladder and this results in retention of urine in the bladder with overflow incontinence. So the bladder is always full and it leaks in between. It can also increase the number of times you want to urinate, because the bladder is never empty and has a high residue all the time.

You should get an ultrasound scan of the bladder and a post void residue. If it is very high then you should be catheterized and oxybutynin stopped.

Please let me know if you have any doubts.

Dr.Tharun