Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I have been diagnosed with an enlarged prostate. I know drinking

Customer Question

I have been diagnosed with an enlarged prostate. I know drinking too much alcohol is bad for my condition but I was wondering what a safe level of alcohol intake would be.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.

Drinking alcohol is not dangerous for an enlarged prostate. Drinking alcohol just makes you produce more urine which can irritate the bladder and prostate and make your symptoms worse. There is no set level of alcohol you can consume to limit your symptoms. You should see a urologist for an exam to start you on medication like Flomax to relieve your symptoms so that urine production does not make things worse. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, but I have been to hospital and seen a specialist and am currently tasking tamsulosin hydrochloride tablets daily to relieve my symptoms. In fact, when I asked him if I could still drink beer he said it was ok, but this appears to be against the best advice I have found on the Internet. I have read that alcohol (at least too much) irritates the bladder and makes the prostate unrelaxed as well as shrinking the eurethra, which is bad. Can you clarify please?

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.

Alcohol can irritate the lining of the bladder which can make you feel lik eyou need to urinate more frequently. So if this is your problem, then you should try to avoid alcohol as much as you can.

Alcohol has no effect on the prostate or the urethra.