Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

Following my query yesterday, I have tonight noticed a small

Following my query yesterday, I have tonight noticed a small amount of blood on my incontinence pads.
1. Is this a matter of concern?
2. Would this be indicative of an infection even though urine tests show no infection?
3. If so, would antibiotics help or is it likely to clear up of its own accord?
4. Is it reasonable to assume that the original wound would be fully healed after 4 months give that I have had no problems to date?
Incidentally, earlier to day, I spoke to my consultant who said it sounded like an infection. He said it sounded like the sort of minor setback which happens from time to time. However, I was not aware of the blood when I spoke to him.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.
I do not see your query from yesterday. Can you repost it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Here is my original query:

4 months ago, I underwent a radical prostatectomy. The 3 month post-op check showed that the results were the best they could be and my consultant said I did not need to see him for another year.
By that stage, I also had the problem of incontinence effectively under control apart from the occasional dribble. I had several sessions with a physiotherapist who was satisfied that I was performing pelvic floor exercises correctly and I have continued to carry these out.
However, during the last week or so, the incontinence has returned with a vengeance. I am now wetting the bed during the night whereas even when I first had the catheter removed, I always woke up and was able to get to the toilet. I am also freely leaking when sitting in the car - a problem which I have not had for a long time. I have had some discomfort and soreness and, on one occasion, a slight pink colour on toilet tissue - but otherwise urine is clear.
I have seen my GP who has confirmed there is no infection. I need to understand why my condition has deteriorated.

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
OK. Thanks for the clarification
1. Is this a matter of concern? - This blood is lily a sign of an infection that has not been detected on your urine samples
2. Would this be indicative of an infection even though urine tests show no infection?- Yes
3. If so, would antibiotics help or is it likely to clear up of its own accord?- Yes, it is very possible
4. Is it reasonable to assume that the original wound would be fully healed after 4 months give that I have had no problems to date?- Yes, that is a very reasonable assumption.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience: Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.