Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

Really worried

Customer Question

Hi, please could you help me as I'm going out of my mind with worry that I may have damaged a part of my urinary system, bladder, kidneys I don't know what, it all started last Friday afternoon a week ago today when I masturbated with a full bladder, after I did and wiped away semen I could hardly pee at all and when I did, it only came out a little bit even though I needed to get rid of more, I was peeing a little bit at a time for the rest of the evening every hour, and I was left with an aching feeling just above my genitals in my bladder area, which persists to this day a week on  and I notice it more after I have urinated - since then, I haven't had the same frequency and urge to pee as before, I take Bendrofluazide tablets for HBP and with those you really get the urge, but they haven't made any noticeable difference, I don't seem to urinating with the same forceful stream as before, even when I drink a lot of fluids, I am to be honest scared and frightened I may have damaged an essential part of my bodily function, please help thank you ever so much. Kind Regards, Mark.

Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 2 years ago.
Do you have fever or pain while passing urine?
Are you diabetic?
Have you checked your urine ?
Do you have prostate problem?
Please let me know.
Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, no fever or pain when actually passing urine as such, just a constant aching feeling in my bladder area just above my genitals, this is more noticeable after passing urine.

No diabetes, had urine checked at my GP's surgery for infections, none found.

No prostate problem as far as I am aware of.

Prior to me doing what I did a week ago there was absolutely no problems whatsoever, again could I have possibly damaged a part of my urinary system, and would a cystoscopy show up any damage?

Mark.

HI

It is very diffucult to damage the urinary system during masturbation. If you are having difficulty passing urine it could be inflammation of the prostate gland or enlargement of the prostate gland which is age related.

So get your prostate checked and if it is enlarged you have to be put on medications like alfa blockers to relax it.

Another cause could be urinary infection, but that has been already ruled out.
The prostate might be enlarged borderline and that masturbation episode would have inflammed it to cause this problem.

Only if the problem persists after treating the prostate , you may opt for the cystoscopy. Otherwise there is no need to jump on to cystoscopy so soon. Its been just a week since the epsiode.

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is there a possibility that I could have damaged my urethra, bearing in mind that I masturbated with a full bladder as I said?

Mark.

HI

Its very difficult to injure the urethra ; it usually gets injured during falls. accidents and surgeries. Injury while masturbation is almost imprctical unless you were rough in handling.

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I see, but I was masturbating with a full bladder at the time ie. holding my urine back, but I forgot to ask you - what about the bladder sphincter and the upper urinary tract ie. kidneys and ureters, could they have been affected in any way?

Thanks,

Mark.

Just one episode of masturbation will not cause any damage to the kidneys and ureters.

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, but it's just that I masturbated with a full bladder ie. holding my urine back as I did, as I mentioned before, I take Bendrofluazide tablets for HBP which make you want to go more, but since that episode I don't seem to be peeing with the same urge and frequency as before, this morning I had a cup of coffee and a glass of water to wash my tablets down (I take more than one) but I have only gone once, and my urine has been coming out like a slow trickle, normally with those I have the urge to go quite frequently, and then it comes out really fast, this is a worry to me too, please, what do you think's happened?

Regards,

Mark.

I guess you were having a borderline enlargement of the prostate which got unmasked by this incident. Masturbating on full bladder is not known to cause urethral injury.
I will advise you to get checked for prostate and start on medication if that is the case.
Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I will certainly do that, however I have noticed that this aching feeling in my pubic area is made worse if I take the Bendrofluazide tablets and lasts all day, and as I said before the frequency and urge to urinate since that epsode seems to have changed, before, I went very often when I took those, now my urge to go seems to have been spread out through the day, plus I don't get the same urgency to go as before, and also the pubic ache seems to be more noticeable after I have urinated,

could this be a different matter to prostate or not, also can masturbating on full bladder cause any other injury to the urinary tract, my apologies if I have mentioned this before, plus I am worried that what I did may involve me having to have either a temporary or permanent catheter fitted in the future.

Please help and advise.

Regards,

Mark.

Only thing which can happen is that there could be some reflux of the urine into the ejaculatory ducts and this can inflame the ejaculatory ducts and the prostate and sometimes even the testicles.Other than this there could be no injury to the urinary system that I know of.

Dr.Tharun